Friday, September 27, 2013

Ode to a Japanese Mover

Today was one of the days when I really love living in Japan.  I remembered from my high school days how amazing Japanese movers were.  Today, I happily discovered that they are still as good as they were 30 years ago when we moved here in 1983. 

The Move Out in Edgemont, NY:
We got off to a good enough start with 5 guys arriving on time at 9am on July 29th.  The head guy was polite enough, but he was kind of a whiner and also got very testy with his guys and with me and my father as the day wore on.  At one point, when he was confused with his mess of paperwork, he started heckling one of his guys in front of us, which showed not only poor management skills, but truly failed to inspire consumer confidence that our goods were actually going to arrive in Japan. 

As soon as they walked in, one guy asked where the bathroom was and another asked for a glass of water.  It's July.  Do you not carry water with you when you work for a day moving people??!?!  The guys were very casual with us, some more chatty than others.  Chatty is totally fine by me, but (1) please hurry up and get this over with and (2) it is not okay to reach your filthy hands into my father's bag of pita chips that he has left on the counter without asking.  Hello?!?!?  The topper was when the same chip-reaching guy saw me toasting a bagel for my father and not-too-subtly hinted, "Gee that looks awfully good."  When I asked if he wanted one too, he happily accepted.  No big deal, but you do this everyday.  Do you not bring your lunch?

When all was done, the testy head guy tells me that his boss will be calling me to ask how it went.  He says, "You are 100% satisfied, right?"  When I asked if his guys could pick up the garbage that they had left strewn around the house (water bottles, empty tape rolls, used tape, used packing papers, unused boxes, etc.), he sheepishly agreed and called in some of his guys to clean up.  They still didn't clean up well, but I left it at that.  After they left, I found dishes that they had failed to reach and pack in the kitchen as well as other unpacked items that I cannot remember anymore.

Finally, I realized that, being in the U.S. and in Westchester, NY, a tip was definitely expected.  I gave each of the 5 guys a $40 tip.  They seemed happy enough with that, but, as always, I was left feeling that they were somehow not satisfied, despite a job pretty crappily done.  Ah, the American work ethic!

The Move In - Tokyo, Japan:
The guys show up early to start prepping the walls and elevator with padding protection so as not to scratch the walls or floor.  We get started on time at 9am.  They are a team of about 6 guys, but only 3-4 carry things inside.  The  other 2-3 stay with the truck and unload and move the truck as needed for traffic.  They guys start by putting cardboard and padding on all of my corners and walls so as not to scratch or mark-up anything.  The carry-in guys amaze with their ability to slip off their shoes at my step-up entrance (genkan) while carrying a 400-pound, huge buffet.  They are polite and pleasant as they carry each box to me, tell me the number to check off and ask where each box should go.  Do they talk about their weekend plans?  Do they ask for water?  Do they bicker with one another?  No, no, no.  It is just pure professionalism and efficiency.  I love these guys. 

In these photos, you see two of the guys putting together our complicated glass coffee tables.  One of the parts was forced on in prior assembly, so the head guy pulls out his tool box, sits on the floor in his socks and works away until it is fixed.  Turns out, we had never assembled the thing correctly when we were in NY.  It always had been super wobbly.  Now we know why! 



Also, the NY mover guys had packed the buffet without separately packing the heavy wooden shelves inside, so that one of the shelf pins is lost (so cannot use the shelf now), one shelf is cracked and the interior of the buffet is all scratched up.  And, I tipped those guys!  ERGH!

In any case, not all things are better here (e.g. few is anyplace to play soccer for Andreas and Peter, major bicycle traffic on the sidewalk, food prices, etc.), but moving is definitely one of them. 

The kids were so happy to see their toys, dolls, yearbook and photos of friends again.  IT made Annika very happy, but Andreas said that now he is even sadder because he misses his home and friends even more.  Transition  for them is a slower process than I had imagined.  I think they love Edgemont more than I realized.  Annika proclaimed, "Now I REALLY miss Chloe!"

Peter and I too felt so glad to see our things.  Somehow, it really makes things feel more real and more "at home" to have your own dishes, books, photo albums...  I now feel like the move is almost done and we can settle in.  We'll unpack tomorrow all day.  We'll then check out of our temporary place in Daikanyama and move in on Sunday for good.  Will miss the Daikanyama neighborhood (great restaurants, Eataly and bakery), but a long walk every day to the bus for the kids.  Our new place in Minami-azabu is a 3-minute walk to school.  Hooray!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Deanna--I am just catching up with your posts. How fun to see your travels and your new place. So glad the movers treated you well!

    And big hugs to you all,
    A

    ReplyDelete